As you gather with family and friends this Thanksgiving, Party Fiesta Balloon Decor wants to give you something to think about besides eating yourselves into a delicious turkey coma! If there’s a lull at the dinner table, you might want to pepper the conversation with some of these crazy facts about Thanksgiving you might never have heard before!
* According to fossils discovered, turkeys roamed the Americas as far back as 10 million years ago!
* A whopping 91% of Americans eat turkey on Thanksgiving Day (while the percentage drops to about 50% on Christmas Day)!
* According to the Guinness Book of Records, in the annual heaviest-turkey competition in London in 1989, the winner of the greatest dressed weight was a turkey that tipped the scales at a hefty 86 pounds! Talk about leftovers forever!
* It is estimated that a staggering 40 million green-bean casseroles are served on Thanksgiving Day!
* When the Pilgrims dined with the Wampanoag Indians at the first Thanksgiving in 1621, the celebration lasted for three days! And they only ate with spoons and knives–no forks!
* Native Americans did not eat the sweet little cranberries we all know and enjoy nowadays–they used the bright berries for dying fabric and decorating pottery!
* Thanks to the blockbuster movie, we all know that Edward Smith was the captain of the Titanic, but did you know the captain of the Mayflower was named Christopher Jones?
* When we settle in to watch Macy’s annual Thanksgiving Day parade, we can all marvel at the fact that those awesome gigantic character balloons have been making their famous trek through the streets of New York City since 1924!
* Only 50% of the 102 Pilgrims who landed at Plymouth Rock lived to celebrate the first Thanksgiving, and of that 50%, only five female Pilgrims survived! And guess who got stuck preparing and cooking that first Thanksgiving feast? Those five women, of course!
* The present Plymouth Rock is now only the size of a car engine and has cracked three times since the Pilgrims first landed!
* Benjamin Franklin, among his many other interests, wanted the turkey to be adopted as the national bird…but the eagle took that honor instead!
* Another elder statesman, Thomas Jefferson, actually expressed the opinion that “Thanksgiving is the most ridiculous idea I’ve ever heard”! Not a turkey fan, apparently!
* Turkeys that receive a Presidential “pardon” escape the frying pan and are sent to a public farm named, appropriately, Frying Pan Park in Herndon, Virginia to live out their days in peace, instead of pieces!
* Scared turkeys can run up to 20mph and can burst into flight at the speed of 50-55mph in just seconds!
* Turkeys can suffer heart attacks! When the Air Force did test runs and broke the sound barrier, hundreds of turkeys literally dropped dead from fright! (Does anyone have any gravy handy?!)
So, now that you know some of the wild and weird Turkey Day facts, Party Fiesta Balloon Decor wishes everyone everywhere a wonderful Thanksgiving! The premier balloon decorators in San Jose, California, the balloon pros at Party Fiesta have an eye-popping assortment of Thanksgiving balloons and balloon decor, as well as stunning decor that celebrates the best of autumn!
Please call Party Fiesta Balloon Decor at (408) 292-6000 or drop by their showroom–located at 999 Lincoln Avenue in San Jose, California–and be dazzled by their beautiful fall centerpieces and unique Thanksgiving balloon decor!