Eighty-three years ago, Walter Elias Disney gave the world an everlasting gift…an animated critter that would become the world’s most-beloved character! None other than Mickey Mouse! Here are 10 fabulous facts about everyone’s favorite mouse!
1) Walt first dreamed up his idea of a sassy little rodent while riding on a train to Los Angeles with his wife, Lillian. The name that popped up in Walt’s imagination was “Mortimer,” but Lillian vetoed that stuffy name, suggesting the more all-American “Mickey,” and “Mickey” it was!
2) Mickey made his first film, “Plane Crazy,” that had a sneak preview at a Hollywood movie house in 1928, followed soon after by his second film, “Gallopin’ Gaucho”!
3) Mickey’s true movie debut came later in 1928’s early epic, “Steamboat Willie”–his first movie with sound!
4) Walt was so hands-on with his brilliant new star that he actually supplied the voice of Mickey Mouse from 1928 until 1946!
5) We all know and love Annette and the other kids from the televised “Mickey Mouse Club” in the 1950s, but did you know the very first club started in Mickey’s honor was in 1929 in Ocean Park, California?!
6) There were certainly other comic-strip stars in the late 1920s, but Mickey appeared in his first-ever comic strip back in 1930!
7) From the movie screen to the funny papers to the literary world: The first book about our favorite mouse–titled, quite appropriately, “The Mickey Mouse Book”–also was published in 1930!
8) Walt and his alter-ego, Mickey, were so intertwined and so entertained the world that Walt was presented with a special Oscar at the 1932 Academy Awards for his fantastic creation!
9) Who in this world hasn’t worn at least one Mickey Mouse watch on his or her wrist at some point in our lives?! But did you know the first-ever Mickey Mouse watches were sold in 1933 for a then-whopping $3.75?! It was the Depression, after all! (Later, the watches were reduced to a more wallet-friendly $2.75!)
10) Mickey’s greatest honor was when General Dwight David Eisenhower led the Allied Forces in 1944’s invasion of Europe, which was code-named “Mickey Mouse”!
So, you see, Mickey is so much more than just a cartoon character–he is a world legend! In fact, according to Tony Sellars, co-founder/owner of Party Fiesta Balloon Decor–San Jose, California’s premier balloon decorators, “Mickey has never stopped being one of our biggest-selling characters! There’s always a new generation of kids who worship Mickey, and he’s a perennial favorite!”
If you stop by Party Fiesta’s showroom (located at 999 Lincoln Avenue in San Jose, CA), you’ll be stunned by their wall full of Mickey (and Minnie, too, for that matter!) foil balloons. And you’ll be dazzled by the amazing decor they design with Mickey as the star: columns, arches, structures and so much more! Join Party Fiesta as they celebrate Mickey Mouse’s 83rd birthday…and many more!